:: Re: [DNG] resolved
Top Pagina
Auteur: Dan Purgert
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] resolved
Edward Bartolo wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Reading this mail thread gives the message that eventually software
> freedom will win even in the case of init freedom. However, searching
> online for various topics often results in howtos that assume one is
> running systemd. I may be worrying a bit too much, but having howtos
> assuming systemd is installed will eventually encourage more users to
> use systemd especially if they are beginners.
> [snip]

Well, the main trouble is that the syntax for a howto is probably given
to google/ddg as "<distro> <problem>"; and well, given that "beginners"
will likely gravitate towards Mint and Ubuntu (among others, but those
seem to be the "beginner Linuxes of choice"), the only howtos that will
be of any use (assuming 16.04 or Mint 18) will be systemd-related.

If we want to get the beginners, then perhaps something to
look at (eventually) is what do those distros do to cultivate their
"newbie-friendly" atmosphere. Or perhaps a 'child' distro (similar to
the Debian -> Ubuntu -> Mint hierarchy).

Perhaps any of us who are educators should talk up Devuan -- hell,
hearing one of my favorite professors talk about RedHat was what got me
STARTED in linux in the first place (although, with Fedora-Core 2).
Unfortunately, I couldn't really "get into" Linux at the time, and it
had been an on-and-off OS for many years (and now I'm kicking myself for
time lost because I stuck with "the familiar" of Windows).

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
|O|O|O|