:: Re: [DNG] How to acknowledge ported…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jack L. Frost
Aan: Simon Walter
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] How to acknowledge ported version of Open Source program?
On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 02:22:29PM +0900, Simon Walter wrote:
> Since Chung's new version is written in Python, wouldn't it be considered a
> different piece of software? I don't think a re-write in another language of
> something licensed under the MIT license can even be considered a
> derivative, much less a copy.

Yeah, I was going to say that too: a rewrite in another language is a
completely new piece of software and I've see things like that being licensed
under a different license dozens of times. Hell, full rewrites in the same
language are often licensed differently with no problems. A full rewrite is
just that — a different implementation, especially if it's in a different
language as well.