:: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility
On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 21:22:04 +0200
Florian Zieboll <f.zieboll@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 18:54:12 +0100
> Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat@???> wrote:
>
> > What's "a daemon"?
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > And no 'package' not specifically created for this use case could
> > provide the meta-information needed here.
>

> Hallo Rainer,
>
> this sounds much like a rhetoric question.

Not really. Ask this question to 100 people, and you'll get a wide
range of answers similar to the range you'd get with "what is the
cloud?" or "what does semantic mean?" I've met people who say a
background process is a daemon only if it *put itself* in the
background. Others say it's a daemon only if managed by a respawning
supervision suite like s6, runit or daemontools.

Me, I try not to use the word for that reason.

I'd be very careful of discussions that pivot around the definition of
"daemon."

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb