:: Re: [DNG] use zram for /tmp - how?
Top Pagina
Auteur: emninger
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] use zram for /tmp - how?
Am Sun, 05 Jun 2016 12:00:01 +0000
schrieb Didier Kryn <kryn@???>:

>      I have a laptop with 16GB of ram. I configured it like this with
> the primary goal of not using swap at all. And my /tmp is a tmpfs
> with a 4G limit. This allows me to use an SSD as hard disk drive. I
> didn't want to swap to an SSD.

>      I have never been short of ram in 3 years. I have compiled
> kernels, GCC, and many other things on this laptop, runing make with
> multiple threads; I sometimes got stuck by lack of cpu, never by lack
> of ram.

>      I understand that you want to go further and increase the size
> of your /tmp by compressing it. It seems pretty complicated and
> probably not worth the burden.

Thank you Didier! Would you mind to put your exact configuration here?

Anyway, i went a bit further and around the compressed ram theme.
Given, that i probably will keep the harddrive swap partition
(as i said: for hibernation/s2disk) would it be more useful to use
zswap instead (zswap needs a physical swap device)? And to set the
percentage of ram given to zswap pretty high? (Activate zswap would be
some lines in the bootloader).

So, using tmpfs as parazyd pointed out, would go to be swapped early
into the compressed swap in ram, when there is no more uncompressed ram
available. Or is it ingenuous thinking?

If i understand correctly, zswap will, when it really comes to the
limits swap out the oldest swap pages to the "pysical" swap device,
zram would kill them (?).

Cheers.