:: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility (was: …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Florian Zieboll
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility (was: SoylentNews discussion)
On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 19:41:02 +0100
Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

> Florian Zieboll <f.zieboll@???> wrote:
>
> > Seriously, what else besides dependencies on other daemons that
> > have to be running and some testing for the existence of certain
> > (everything is) files would be necessary to pass to a parser
> > script, which could be packaged with the respective init system?
>
> Are we in danger of removing one of the great benefits of the shell
> scripts used by sysvinit - the ability to code pretty well anything
> that's needed. I realise that this also means the scripts can tend to
> "sprawl", but it gives great flexibility - including for local
> modifications.

hallo simon,

i was not talking about replacing sysvinit's shellscripts, but suggest
to implement a routine that creates them "on the fly" on installation
of a new daemon, from /one/ init-independent "meta" configuration file,
packaged with the daemon.

every init system would have its own routine to parse these meta files
into scripts or configuration files of its very own format. Hence there
will be no black box, local modifications are possible as usual - in
the best case it won't make any difference for the admin at all.

depending on the respective init system, this routine could also be
used to (interactively) configure the behavior of individual daemons on
crashes (restart?) and ask for additional prerequisites or tests.

regarding your feedback about mysqld: don't you think its readiness
could be verified with an init-independent, zero-exiting command defined
in the above mentioned meta configuration file?

regards,

florian