:: Re: [devuan-dev] commercial entity …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: hellekin
À: devuan-dev
Sujet: Re: [devuan-dev] commercial entity CoC
On 06/03/2016 11:27 AM, Jaromil wrote:

> dear fellow devs
>

> here an interesting text being drafted by the "open source foundation"
> international group (hosted by freedesktop.org, meh) of which dyne.org
> is also part.

What is the OSF? Never heard of it before.

> it is very interesting for Devuan I believe:
>
> http://blog.opentechstrategies.com/2016/06/oss_commercial_coc_draft/

Some reading notes:

1. Abuse of the word 'ecosystem' to talk about and instead of social
relations between conscious actors; this is not an ecosystem.

2. "Commercial entities should observe the distinction between public
community functions and private commercial functions"

*This is pure bullshit.* There's no such "public community" vs.
"private commercial", this is a wrong way to look at commercial aspects
of free software. On the contrary, there should be no difference
between the interest of the community and the interest of the vendors.
Both should support, encourage, expand, and empower the collective.

3. Points:

"Treat the project’s name with respect, and follow the project’s
trademark and branding policy."

Seriously? Do people need that kind of advice? Are they dumb?

"Don’t replace community infrastructure; instead, improve it."

That one is basic, but indeed a lot of "helpful" people want to come
with their own (outdated, unmaintained) Devuan community sites (e.g.,
friendsofdevuan.org) instead of using the existing ones. That's OK for
certain things, and even encouraged, e.g., for local Web translations
(where we leave most of the namespace for the local community to put
their own contents), but in general, better use what's already there.

"Label your offerings in a way that makes their provenance clear, and
take care not to denigrate or diminish the open source project."

Again, seems to talk to imbeciles, like most CoCs do anyway.

"Do not attempt to convert unofficial influence into claims of official
control."

Are we dealing with enemies, or just really dumb friends?

"In public forums, your employees should behave like any other project
participants."

No. Fucking. Comment. OK, that's enough. I don't want to waste more
time on it. CoCs suck.

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/