:: Re: [DNG] Install a new kernel
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Rainer Weikusat
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Install a new kernel
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
> Le 25/05/2016 16:25, Antonio Trkdz.tab a écrit :
>> Thank you Didier and Urban.
>>
>> >I think you can compile your kernel with any version of gcc 3, 4 or
>> 5, but take care of the C library. The libc used by your OS (ie
>> glibc) must be compiled with the kernel headers for the kernel
>> version it runs on.
>>
>> So to be clear...if I download the sources and I compile them with
>> the tools actually on my system, do I need the relative
>> linux-headers package?
>> building the modules will be OK ?
>
>     You will need the glibc for that kernel. If the glibc doesn't
> match the kernel version, you may experience errors in some
> applications, because the interface to some system calls may have
> changed.

I'm sorry to be so blunt but this is completely wrong/ backwards: Prior
to libc6, /usr/include/linux used to be a symlink to the actual source
tree the kernel was compiled from. This practice was dropped because
applications using a certain, compiled version of glibc need to be
compiled with the same kernel headers as the C library was to ensure
that both agree wrt structure definitions. Since then, glibc included a
certain set of kernel headers.

Linux has the nice policy of never changing a public ABI, hence, there's
no problem in this respect (I'm right now running with a 4.5.0 kernel on
a Wheezy system because some code changes of mine went into Linux when
that was current).