:: Re: [DNG] Install a new kernel
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Install a new kernel
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 04:49:12PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 25/05/2016 16:38, KatolaZ a écrit :
> >Having said that, I think you should not have too many problems
> >compiling a 4.x kernel with glibc-2.19 (the version you find in
> >Jessie)
>
>     The kernel doesn't make any call to the glibc; it is the
> opposite: when running the new kernel, the userland invokes the
> glibc all the time, and this glibc makes system-calls to the new
> kernel, and there are some changes in the system-calls from kernel
> version to kernel version. This is why the libc must be recompiled
> with the proper kernel headers.

Well, glibc shoult be retro-compatible, so this should be needed only
if your applications are going to use those "new" syscalls (if any,
since most of the times the updates in the glibc are reduced to flags
and options to existing syscalls).

If you need to recompile the kernel only because of a missing/newer
module, you might not need to upgrade your glibc at all, especially
since all your applications already work fine with the glibc you
have... :)

Again, this is valid unless your application requires a specific
version of glibc to work correctly.

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]