著者: Jaromil
To: dng
CC: dima
題目: Re: [DNG] Request for Removal of slim package from Devuan
On Wed, 25 May 2016, Irrwahn wrote:

> On Wed, 25 May 2016 12:08:12 +0200, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 May 2016 23:07:33 +0200
> > Irrwahn <irrwahn@???> wrote:
> >
> >> In my humble opinion a quality distribution like Devuan
> >> should not show a potential weakness at such a crucial
> >> spot by shipping a package in questionable condition.
> >

> > Hallo Irrwahn,
> >
> > in an earlier mail you wrote regarding slim:
> >
> > | Subject: Re: [DNG] How to change default session
> > | Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 23:14:11 +0200
> > |
> > | (...) plus there were some other more severe problems with it (if
> > | my memory serves me right
> >
> > Can you elaborate on this?
>
> One specific thing I recall is slim leaking memory on each
> login cycle. That might not sound dramatic per se (given the
> amount of RAM present in even tiny machines today), but in
> my experience is usually the symptom of an underlying more
> severe problem or design flaw. And, it can very well be used
> as an attack vector.

I don't exclude adopting the package with Devuan becoming upstream

but are we 100% sure that there are no other alternatives out there,
nor that lightdm can be tamed to a more minimal set of dependencies?

I would like to have an opinion from Dimkr on these regards before
proceeding with any decision.

ciao