:: Re: [DNG] what Emacs really is, jok…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Robert Storey
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] what Emacs really is, jokes aside.
> Emacs is an excellent user interface, development environment, and
> desktop for ancient, text-only terminals. That's what it was for back
> in the day. That's what it still is.
>
> But people seem to be able to afford better terminals

For me, Emacs is a lot more than a development environment, though it's
good for that too. I've written whole books using Emacs as my editor, and
it's ability to handle unicode (and thus, foreign scripts) has been a
Godsend. I've mentioned a couple of times that I live in Taiwan, and Emacs
has great Chinese-input capabilities - superb for editing the html pages on
my bilingual website.

Kudos to all the folks who have worked on Emacs through the years.