:: Re: [DNG] How to change default ses…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Irrwahn
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] How to change default session
[Re-post to list, accidentally hit wrong reply button.]

On Tue, 24 May 2016 01:06:23 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 10:10:47PM +0200, emninger@??? wrote:
>> Where it is coded, that lxde (startlxde) is the default session (for
>> slim; it's also the topmost one in lightdm, but lightdm has the
>> "memory" function)?
>>
>> I can cycle thru the available sessions by F1 but i would prefer to
>> automatically have jwm as default (and not lxde).
>
> update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

Yeah, that's the theory. But did you actually try that?

Here's what I see on a fresh Devuan Jessie with slim, lxde and jwm:
+
| $ update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
| There are 3 choices for the alternative x-session-manager
| (providing /usr/bin/x-session-manager).
|
|   Selection    Path                      Priority   Status
| ------------------------------------------------------------
| * 0            /usr/bin/startlxde         50        auto mode
|   1            /usr/bin/lxsession         49        manual mode
|   2            /usr/bin/openbox-session   40        manual mode
|   3            /usr/bin/startlxde         50        manual mode

+

And then there is this:
+
| $ update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
| There are 2 choices for the alternative x-window-manager
| (providing /usr/bin/x-window-manager).
|
|   Selection    Path              Priority   Status
| ------------------------------------------------------------
| * 0            /usr/bin/openbox   90        auto mode
|   1            /usr/bin/jwm       20        manual mode
|   2            /usr/bin/openbox   90        manual mode

+

Whatever combination I chose, none resulted in slim starting a
jwm session by default, i.e. without going through the F1 menu.

OTOH, after switching the default display manger, lightdm happily
remembers my last selection for which session to start, be it jwm
or lxde.

Conclusion: SLiM is broken, possibly even FUBAR. Which might be
an explanation why its development ceased, but now that's me just
guessing. ;-)

Regards
Urban