著者: Irrwahn
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] Evince
On Mon, 23 May 2016 07:45:40 +0200, Emninger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I do not know if it is intended to do such trivial suggestions
> but ... ;)
>
> Being on my way to adapt my (jwm/fluxbox) setup to what i had before on
> slackware, i stumbled into this: Devuan comes with evince by default.

There is no such thing as a default PDF viewer for Devuan.

Evince is the default PDF viewer for GNOME, IIRC. As such, I
suspect it's also the default PDF viewer fo Cinnamon. A quick
look into what packages *Depend* on it seems to confirm that.
The lxde package package has it as a "Recommends". Another
"improvement" by the packager to an otherwise fine desktop
environment.

However, as LXDE is going to go away in favor of LXQt, I
expect lxde package to take its idiotic dependencies on
random GNOME crap with it into oblivion.

BTW: Everyone who liked Evince, as it was in the GNOME 2
days might want to have a look at Atril, a fork of Evince.

> Now, i installed epdfviewer which says in its description:
>
> "Lightweight pdf viewer based on poppler libs
> The aim of ePDFView is to make a simple PDF document viewer, in the
> lines of Evince but without using the GNOME libraries. "
>
> Shouldn't that be the default pdf-viewer devuan comes with? Since as i
> understand it, the "evil" are the gnome dependencies (?)

As indicated above: The notion of "default PDF viewer"
totally depends on the DE (meta-)package we are talking
about. (Plus, as someone else correctly mentioned elsethread,
in most cases one should be able to completely drop that
meta-package and just leave the core components installed.
And never again have to care about what additional tools
some inventive packager decided to force on users, just
because (s)he deemed those useful. (Well-meant is the
opposite of well done. }:-> )

Regards
Urban