:: Re: [DNG] Unofficial Devuan live im…
Página Inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
Para: Didier Kryn
CC: dng, Rainer Weikusat
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Unofficial Devuan live images
On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 08:18:16AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:

[cut]

> >version of the initramfs), but might be useful if you want to use the
> >live image as a rescue cd, and boot into an existing / on your
> >drive. Not necessary. Maybe useful.
>     The disk controllers need to be on the live cd for sure, but why
> in the initramfs?

Only if you want to boot to an existing partition, which is something
that I would like to support anyway.

> >>rebuild the kernel with those drivers statically linked and boot
> >>directly to the cdrom without and initramfs.
> >>
> >Oh, sure we could. But my point is to use standard packages from the
> >Devuan repo, without too much of customising/recompiling.
>
>     I was just thinking of a minimal hack: starting from Devuan's
> kernel config, just change a few drivers' build-mode from module to
> static. After all, do you think it's more of a hack than stripping
> the initramfs? But I admit it's a different journey than the one you
> have undertaken.

That would be possible, but maybe it will not be needed, since the
initrd is currently under 7MB anyway, and the "micro" version might be
as small as 5 MB. The problem now might be the kernel itself, whose
size (when decompressed) is of the same order of the initrd :) But I
won't dig in that direction, for the moment....

> > Otherwise we
> >could also recompile everything with uclibc, as done in other minimal
> >distro, and have a truly microscopic userland, but that would be
> >*another* distribution, not a Devuan ;)
> >

>     Musl libc is already a serious challenge :-) Uclibc a nightmare,
> too incompatible with glibc.

>     Sorry if I look harsh, providing recommendations to people who
> do the real job :-) ideas come out of the conversation and I just
> like to share them with knowledgeable people.

Among adults, receiving honest and "harsh" comments, and reflecting on
them, is the most effective and productive way to improve on your
work. Saying that everything is cool and smooth and perfect has never
saved the world, or changed things. So thank you again for your
comments, which are very much appreciated and will be taken into
account seriously, and please feel free to fire at me any thought as
you have done so far :)

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]