:: Re: [DNG] Artistic decisions - keyb…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Steve Litt
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Artistic decisions - keyboard mappings
On Fri, 20 May 2016 08:29:17 +0200
m_maass <m_maass@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> very good idea!
>
> Please take a look for one Unix keyboard,
> https://deskthority.net/w/images/8/8d/Suntype5.jpg
>

> For my finger/thumb is a pleasant to have Ctrl on the right place,
> i use often Ctrl-a, Ctrl-s, Ctrl-w, Ctrl-x, Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v, Ctrl-q,
> Ctrl-e

Yes! I just realized that moving the Ctrl key would bring my entire
workflow to a halt, because I invoke dmenu with Ctrl+Shift+;, and
toggle a laptop's mousepad with Ctrl+Shift+j.

Ctrl+Shift is trivial for a touch-typist, without thought or looking at
the keyboard, because really you just send your little finger left and
down, and have the others follow it left. To get back to home typing
position is simply a matter of snaking the other way. If ctrl were
where caps-lock is now, you'd need to go left and up, and your little
finger is too short for that: You'd need need to move your whole hand
off the ASDF row, and that's sloooooow.

The world has a 25 year accumulation of hotkeys. A lot are based purely
on ergonomics (think vim). The time to change the keyboard was in the
20th century, not now.

Of course, this isn't to day Devuan couldn't have an *optional* package
to switch the two keys, for those who wanted to do so.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21