:: [DNG] Suggestions for a tiny X11 se…
Página Principal
Autor: KatolaZ
Para: dng
Assunto: [DNG] Suggestions for a tiny X11 server
Dear Devuaners,

I am keeping stripping down our favourite system, both in terms of
space (both i386 and amd64 might fit in less than 250 MB, with the
same packages) and of memory (the development version fr i386 already
requires 67 MB, and I am confident we can fit it into less than 64). I
have also incorporated most of the comments I have received so far
(thanks to everybody), and we might have a new set of images for you
to play with soon.

Now, since we might have a few megabytes of squashfs available, I
could consider the option of including a *minimal* X11 server (which
will *not* be started automatically, though), together with a
*minimal* WM (which might well be DWM or JWM) and a *minimal* set of X
utils. The only problem is that we need a really *minimal*
implementation of X.

I have noticed that the TinyCore Linux team is still maintaining and
updating tinyX (a vesa-only full-functional implementation of X11,
which was part of XFree86 and has a 700KB footprint) but it seems that
there is no .deb package available at the moment. This is not a
massive problem, but I don't have much time for creating new deb
packages at the moment.

I would be grateful for any suggestion on this matter, i.e. on
possible alternative small X implementations to consider. But
remember: anything you suggest must have *small* memory footprint, and
a microscopic set of dependencies :)

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]