Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] about fglrx (especially to Irrwahn)
Am Wed, 18 May 2016 03:54:05 +0000
schrieb Irrwahn <irrwahn@???>:

[ . . . ]

> The virtual package xorg-video-abi 18 is provided by xserver-
> xorg-core version 1.16 from Jessie (currently that's 2:1.16.4-1,
> to be precise). So you'd have to downgrade that package, and in
> consequence downgrade xorg (and all of it's companions) to
> version 1:7.7+7.
>
> I had to do just that, and even using aptitude, which allows to
> navigate the package tree somewhat comfortably, it was a tedious
> task. Plus, one has to make sure not to upgrade xorg to a "wrong"
> version at a later time.

[ . . . ]

First of all, thanks for all that informations! And for your patience!
I'm not sure if it is really a help (but that's my problem because
of my ignorance!). In any case with the free driver on *THIS* machine
i'm going nowhere: even simple tasks like slide shows in viewnior make
it crash for overheating.

In the end, would you say, it's easier to re-install jessie and get a
more modern kernel then following the advices i got here (activate
backports)?

And if so, how can i keep /home (where i did some work to adapt jwm
desktop and thatlike). /home sits on an own partition.

If re-installing my idea would be, to use only the root partition,
create another user (since as far as i see it's needed). Then after the
installation went - hopefully, remember my crash-ice problem ;) -
through, install fglrx and then create/add a new user (which would the
user i am now) and dedicate to him the /home partition. Is that
correct, so far? My question is: what will be the command to add the
new user and to give him a different /home ?

Thanks a lot in advance!