Skribent: Boruch Baum
Til: dng
Gamle-emner: [DNG] Brief OpenRC/Jessie Discussion on the linux-elitists lists
Emne: [DNG] devuan-minimal brief review notes
@KatolaZ (and everyone else): I just took the 2016-05-17 iteration of
devuan-minimal for a short spin, and here are my notes. In summary, it
seems to be a nicely prepared iso, with features that I've found
overlooked in much larger distros that make attempts to be minimal.
Nice work!

devuan-minimal.org-emacs  -*- mode: org; mode:visual-line; -*-
#+TITLE: devuan-minimal.org-emacs
* devuan-minimal.org-emacs
** 2016-05-17
*** qemu on E15
+ default boot option failed
  + frame buffer related. Message is:
    #+BEGIN_SRC
    fb: switching to bochsdrmfb from simple
    #+END_SRC
    + Question: so how is it so many others claim success?
  + when invoking qemu with an additional option '-vga vmware', the
    frame buffer boot option succeeds, and the frame buffer feature
    works, as described below.
+ successful boot with nofb option
*** usb on E14
+ default boots to login
  + boot process does not auto-recognize screen
    + prompts for resolution selection, with a timeout.
    + selected option 'y'
    + possible solution: in file /etc/default/grub, comment out
      parameter 'GRUB_GFX_MODE'. That should make grub default to
      'auto'. However, I'm not really certain if that's necessary,
      because I don't see a /boot/grub/grub.cfg, so it seems that the
      iso is booting using isolinux. (true?/false?)
+ libcap2-bin not installed
  + required to query or set capabilities.
  + fbterm requires the following to be performed ONCE.
    #+BEGIN_SRC
    sudo setcap 'cap_sys_tty_config+ep' /usr/bin/fbterm
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/bin/fbterm
    #+END_SRC
    + for a livecd environment, neither command is easily possible,
      because the root filesystem is not writable. (not tested)
      + solution #1: perform the commands before burning the iso
      + solution #2: mount an aufs partition over the root partition
        and apply the changes on the overlay. (not tested)
+ frame buffer works!
  + fbi renders images!
    #+BEGIN_SRC
    fbi /usr/share/doc/syslinux-common/examples/syslinux_splash.jpg
    #+END_SRC
    + AND it's a nice picture ...
  + fbgs render pdfs!
    + tip: Review the options on the man page before use. By default,
      the program pre-renders the entire document, which can take a
      while, and the default resolution isn't low so, for example, if
      you have a large document and know you are interested in only
      pages 250-260:
      #+BEGIN_SRC
      fbgs -fp 250 -lp 260 -r 300 your-file.pdf
      #+END_SRC
+ thanks for the following features, which I have found that other
  'minimal' distros skimp on:
  + man pages
  + locate, with updatedb pre-run
+ grub
  + why is there no /boot/grub/grub.cfg?
+ missing
  + everyone will have something to chime in here about, I would
    prefer to be able to list things to remove.
  + ncdu - ncurses answer to 'baobab', with more features and without
    gnome-bloat.
  + htop - not *really* necessary, since 'top' is installed.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1 7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0