:: [DNG] Devuan Minimal Live Images --…
Página Inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
Para: dng
Assunto: [DNG] Devuan Minimal Live Images -- new version
Dear Devuaners,

thanks to your comments and suggestions, I was able to strip down
substantially the Unofficial Devuan Minimal Live images. We now can
boot the amd64 version in 96 MB of RAM and the i386 version in 80
MB. If we consider that this is still a bunch of standard Devuan
packages, with standard kernel and libc and everything, I believe it
is a nice result.

The new images can be downloaded here:

http://devuan.kalos.mine.nu

and are those marked as "DEVELOPMENT BRANCH". I have also considered
the wishes expressed by some of you, and I have added a few more
packages. The most notable inclusion is the support for Braille
terminals (brltty) and for speech synthesis (espeak/espeakup + alsa),
which might make this minimal live Devuan as a viable option for blind
users. Thanks a lot to Gregory Nowak for the suggestions about
accessibility.

There are also fbi, fbterm, mc, minicom, and some more little
utilities, but most of them are untested, so please try to break them
and report back :)

Despite the new additions, which indeed required a lot of space, the
usage of xz for the squashfs allowed to maintain the footprint around
250 MB. I am convinced that we can still trim more fat, though.

Please feel free to report comments, suggestions, and things to be
added to the wishlist through the gitlab page of the project:

https://git.devuan.org/KatolaZ/devuan-live-minimal

You will also find there the scripts I have used to create the images,
plus some documentation, which is quite minimal at the moment.

HH

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]