:: Re: [DNG] Brief OpenRC/Jessie Discu…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: dev
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Brief OpenRC/Jessie Discussion on the linux-elitists lists

On 05/17/2016 06:45 AM, emninger@??? wrote:

> Please do not take my question wrong (probably i am missing something):
> If it's that way, how can devuan then rely on debian as for packages
> etc.? At least in a forseeable future ... ?

Good question. Devuan and Debian are growing apart (as Jaromil alludes
to in a newer message) and that means Devuan will, at some point, have
to cut the tethers from Debian (of course, this is the normal and
expected path of any fork).

It is annonying that after 25 years the Linux community needs to start
over. Fortunately some very smart people established the GNU GPL very
early on (almost like Stallman saw this coming) and this has prevented
anyone from purchasing decades of charitable work and locking it away
with a key.

Devuan, and a handful of other distros, are the only effort to keep the
historic Linux culture alive. Redhat, Debian, SuSE are not, and cannot
do it without turning around their monetary/power interests. They also
cannot be relied on to be "free and open" so at any time, drastic things
could change which intentionally affect any upstream (Devuan) software.

> I think i understand the nucleus of the problem of init choice but i am
> not a technician. And like many of you i found disgusting the manners
> they disputed about systemd or alternatives (it was horrible in arch
> and even more horrible in siduction. As i see it, the problem of the
> supporters of systemd is, structurally/logically, they cannot accept
> the idea of multiple init choices because it's contradictorial to the
> concept of systemd).

SystemD support has some bright people with intentions which run
completely counter to the Linux culture of openness. I think they have
accepted what they are doing but what they are doing is the antitheses
of FOSS in every which way. As a whole, it's not so much about init,
but it starts with init. Devuan is the beginning of a big solution to a
large problem.