:: Re: [DNG] Brief OpenRC/Jessie Discu…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Steve Litt
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Brief OpenRC/Jessie Discussion on the linux-elitists lists
On Mon, 16 May 2016 12:12:20 +0200
Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2016, emninger@??? wrote:
>
> > As for the rest, i'd be interested in what you think about the
> > content of that discussion.
>
> I think it minimizes the problem systemd brings to Debian and the
> problem the current Debian leadership has with its own constituency.

Pre-cisely!

> I sincerely wish the remedy of installing openrc and pinning systemd
> would work, but I'm sure it won't on the mid-long term.

It obviously can't. The same Debian leadership who voted "no" (or was
it "we don't need no steenkin GR") on supporting multiple inits now
determines whether the OpenRC package is maintained or not. That's no
foundation on which to build init choice freedom.

> To all those who think this and other similar approaches may
> invalidate the need of our fork: please consider we are not just
> forking Debian because of systemd, but because the people who have
> taken over the leadership of that distro have betrayed its mandate,
> shown no respect of its Constitution and offer no reliability anymore
> for any reasonable professional use of Debian.

Ex-actly!

> I'm talking about the hooligans and politicians who are using systemd
> as an occasion to take over and bully away disagreement,

Read their posts on mailing lists. They're disgusting.

> those who
> Bruce Perens defines the "anal-retentive policy wonks who believe they
> only make the distribution for themselves and have (perhaps without
> intending to) systematically marginalized Debian and made the project
> a whore to Ubuntu."
> https://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=5852295&cid=48188823

LOL, I think Parens was talking about us, not about the systemd
fanboiz. But whatever: Of all the Free Software movement pioneers, I
find Parens the least credible. I fall more on the side of RMS and ESR
(who fall on different sides of each other).

By the way Jaromil, several days ago I told Rick the exact same stuff
you wrote here. If it were only systemd, and if the Debian DDs (boy do
I hate that phrase) were willing to admit their mistake, we wouldn't be
here. It's about Debian no longer being safe stewards of GNU/Linux.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21