:: Re: [DNG] Unofficial Devuan Jessie …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: KatolaZ
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Unofficial Devuan Jessie Beta Live Minimal
On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 03:22:21PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2016 17:09:34 -0400
> ". fsmithred" <fsmithred@???> wrote:
>
> > Zenity is somewhat of a dependency hog. In Refracta, we abandoned it a
> > couple years ago and replaced it with Yad.
>
> fsmithred,
>
> Thanks for reminding me of Zenity, and informing me of Yad. These
> programs enable my shellscripts to present a GUI face to the user,
> without all the scaffolding you need to do in PyGTk and the like.
>
> Given the nature of the average Devuan user, this could be a pretty
> important capability.

I believe the "average" Devuan user would most probably not use a
minimal live image anyway :) I have checked and indeed zenity is a
dependency hell, which would install 194 more packages (we have less
than 360 packages in total in the minimal Devuan image...) and would
require about 300MB of additiona space (the unsquashed fs amounts to
about 680 MB, in total). In a word, it looks like a bloat, at least in
the context of *minimal* live images.

I am working instead to include a runlevel with support for espeakout
and brltty, which will require just a few megabytes and will be far
more useful than zenity.

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]