:: Re: [DNG] Unofficial Devuan Jessie …
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: KatolaZ
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: KatolaZ
Υ/ο: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Unofficial Devuan Jessie Beta Live Minimal
On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 01:53:25PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:

[cut]

> > Far as I know it's freed after switch_root but I assume the point here
> > is what to do for very low-ram systems..
> >

> Well, I believe that most of the standard stuff in the initramfs can
> be discarded in our specific case. I will keep you posted.

OK guys, I am happy to announce that after having put the default
initramfs on a strict diet (basically, removing useless modules and
libraries unnecessary at boot), the unofficial minimal live is able to
boot on just 96 MB of RAM :)

We could probably work a bit more and reduce its foorptint further,
e.g. to fit in 64 MB, but indeed the surviving computers with less
than 96 MB of ram should be quite rare in these days, so I would
consider this like a good compromise.

Now I am going to implement the few things suggested here,
e.g. compressing the squashfs with xz, including zenity and a few more
"necessary" packages, etc.

Then I will put everyting together and upload the new images for
testing. In the meanwhile I will also create a project on our Gitlab,
with all the scripts I used in the process, and maybe some
documentation.

Thanks a lot for all your support.

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]