:: Re: [DNG] Some questions re the dev…
Góra strony
Autor: Didier Kryn
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Some questions re the devuan release
Le 14/05/2016 17:04, emninger@??? a écrit :
> Am Sat, 14 May 2016 07:55:35 -0400
> schrieb ". fsmithred" <fsmithred@???>:
>
>> I've installed devuan beta from the amd64 netinstall and DVD, and
>> from the i386 CD, and in all cases, when I got to the tasksel window,
>> there was a checkbox for default devuan desktop followed by a list of
>> desktop environments to choose. I chose xfce in all cases. Do the
>> other choices not work?
> They seem to work, that's not a problem. Only, i did not know xfce was
> the default devuan desktop and on the page where you have to choose the
> software to install there is only said Devuan desktop. May be it would
> be good, to put "(xfce)" behind. So also an uninformed like me,
> knows ;) ;)
>
> Ceni, you can get from launchpad ubuntu or via aptosid (as .deb
> packages).
>
> I'm kind of uncertain,
>
> a) if wpa_supplicant and wicd can stay together (i know the arch wiki
> tells to de-activate wpa_supplicant if you use networkmanager;
>
> b) if wpa_supplicant needs dhcpcd. In Voidlinux, wpa_supplicant is
> started as a hook of dhcpcd ...

     You have mostly two ways to deal with wifi.

     1) you select the station and enter the key everytime you connect.
     2) your system remembers the ssid's and keys of all stations you
need and it connects you automatically - this is called wifi-roaming.

     I think wicd matches the first case only.

     AFAIU, ceni allows you to either work according to the first method
or make the basic configuration of wpa_supplicant for the second method,
something you can also do with a text editor. There are many howtos on
the web, search for the following 3 keywords "wifi" "roaming"
"wpa_supplicant".

     wpa_supplicant may or may not invoke the dhcp client, depending on
what it reads in /etc/network/interfaces.

     Hope this helps.

                                     Didier