:: Re: [DNG] Some questions re the dev…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Irrwahn
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Some questions re the devuan release
On Sat, 14 May 2016 13:20:52 +0200, Emninger wrote:
> Am Sat, 14 May 2016 05:28:42 +0000
> schrieb Irrwahn <irrwahn@???>
>> Sounds reasonable to mention the default desktop flavor. It
>> really doesn't already? (I didn't pay attention last time I
>> installed.)
>
> No. When it comes to choose the software to install, it says Devuan
> default desktop (i should have known, eventually, but i didn't ;)

Um, interesting.

<snip>
> I find the configuration of lightdm ugly (configure a greeter here,
> the login there etc. pp.). One simple conf in etc, that's it or should
> it be. Preferrable then, imho, lxdm (although it seems to have problems
> with policykit (??) ).

I agree lightdm config is messy; I may have simply become used to it.
Can't comment on lxdm though, haven't used it for years. Lightdm works
fine with policykit.

<snip>
>> IIRC Devuan even has its own GUI wrapper for wpa_supplicant. As I
>> am fine with just wpa_supplicant or wpa_gui myself, I never used
>> that tool and unfortunately cannot locate the package for it ATM.
>
> I'd be interested in. In the end, i find the configuration via
> wpa_supplicant is simpler. May be i'll try to "migrate" on my own the
> nice script from tinycorelinux. But anyway, which would be the Devuan
> wrapper? I'm aware there is wpa_gui (but it's qt based so, in a gtk
> environment it pulls lots of dependencies, i'm afraid ...

It's called simple-netaid. Alas, I haven't been able to locate a binary
package, it might not be "official" yet. However, here's the GitLab link:
https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages/simple-netaid

<snip> FWIW, I am running Devuan Ascii with a 3.16
>> kernel and an 1.17 Xorg to keep the ... um ... "fine" AMD
>> proprietary drivers working. (Inb4 others commenting on that last
>> bit: No, the free drivers don't cut it, in my case at least.)
>
> That's interesting: I had the same strategy as long as i used
> slackware, but it seems modern kernels work well with catalyst (at
> least Manjaro 16.06 OpenRC does. Void too, boots fine (they come with
> kernel 4.4 or even, Void, with kernel 4.5). The case of Void is
> interesting because it does not offer automatically the non-free driver
> and never make the machine going crazily hot like the Devuan installer
> does.

That made me curious, and I tried once again (been some time), and lo
and behold, it works fine with kernel 4.5. Thanks for the nudge! :)
But still catalyst does not support xorg-video-abi-20.

> I was unable to install from the installer usb, because the machine
> always stopped because overheated (> 90°!!!!). In the end i had the -
> good, but doubtful idea to put the samsung on a box with crashed ice

That's ... quite inventive. o.O

> and voilà ... I do not know, why, but there seem something in the
> Devuan (Debian) installer routines which is extremely cpu intense
> (compared to the installers of other distros. With slackware that was
> never ever a problem, during the installation i mean!).

I *think* I came across one similar report during the last few days,
either here on DNG or on IRC. I don't recall what the resolution was,
if any. You might be able to find something in the DNG archives.

Regards
Urban