:: [DNG] JWM: was Some questions re th…
Góra strony
Autor: Steve Litt
Dla: dng
Stare tematy: [DNG] Some questions re the devuan release
Temat: [DNG] JWM: was Some questions re the devuan release
On Sat, 14 May 2016 00:13:28 +0200
<emninger@???> wrote:

> 4) As for the desktop: On another machine i use Manjaro JWM Open-RC -
> and from a functional (and esthetical!) point of view it's marvellous.

JWM is wonderful. Extremely low memory, very fast performance. I
reviewed it here:

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/201406/201406.htm#jwm

The only problem I had with it was visual cues during window
switching. If you got it to look esthetical, you know quite a bit more
about it than I do.

Do you know if JWM enables one to configure hotkeys to run programs,
such as running xterm when you press F5 or whatever?

> Why not as default desktop for Devuan?

I think (and I could be wrong) that the Devuan project gets closer to
the metal than Debian, but not as close as Slackware. JWM would be
perfect for slackware, I would think.

I just downloaded the Devuan JWM package. Of course it still ran
lxsession on boot. So I changed /etc/rc5.d/S3slim to Z3slim, but same
thing. I had to put an "exit 0" on top of /etc/init.d/slim, and then
make an ~/.xinitrc like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec jwm

It ran jwm after I ran startx, but without the nice Devuan wallpaper. I
assume something like the following needs to be done in .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop --type
boolean false
sh /usr/local/wallpaper/fehbg.command &
exec dwm

In the preceding, fehbg.command looks something like this:

feh --bg-scale "/wherever/devuan_wallpaper.png"

Somebody should tell instructions for how to modify slim to use jwm
directly on bootup.

Be aware that Devuan's JWM package is horribly debianized. You need to
go through two useless levels of menus (one that's just "debian")
before you get to the stuff you really want. It's a shame the Debian
product has screwed up such a nice window manager, but I can't say I'm
surprised: I've been seeing them screwing up nice, simple programs
(including my VimOutliner) for years.

So if you want a Devuan JWM package, you might want to make it yourself
rather than use Debian's.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21