:: Re: [DNG] Never again
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Never again
On Thu, 12 May 2016 23:22:35 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:44:47PM +0200, Harald Arnesen wrote:
> > Steve Litt [2016-05-12 22:29]:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > The last several years, with Debian, Lubuntu, Void, and Devuan
> > > Alpha, I installed from either a tiny ISO or a network install
> > > ISO. Yesterday and today, while installing from the Devuan DVD
> > > ISO, I was reminded why I always did this.
> > >
> > > I started this install last night, and it's still not finished.
> > > I've installed Gentoo and Funtoo faster. The whole time, whenever
> > > the VM hosted install wasn't waiting for input from me, it was
> > > taking over 90% of one of my cores, and slowing my machine's
> > > progress.
> > >
> > > If this thing isn't finished within 2 hours, I'm going to wipe my
> > > VM clean and start over with a network install. And I'm never
> > > going to install from a full ISO again.
> >
> > Strange. I installed Devuan from the beta version in a virtual
> > machine yeserday, less than one hour.
>
> Same over here. I have installed several times from netinst in expert
> mode under qemu (with kvm enabled) and it works smoothly. A complete
> installation of a basic system requires less than one hour in quemu.

Same here. I use shellscripts to do the qemu commands. After
discovering my rundevuan.sh shellscript was slow installing Ubuntu too,
I copied my known-good runlyxbuntu.sh script to rundevuan.sh (after
backing it up as rundevuan_slow.sh), changed the ISO and image file and
changed drive to d (for cdrom), ran it again, and it's much, much
faster.

My qemu command had been wrong somehow.

The beauty of my situation is that I have the root cause trapped
between the working rundevuan.sh and the molasses slow
rundevuan_slow.sh, so once I'm installed, I can exploit the
differences, slowly changing copies of each until I can make one
emulate the other by toggling one factor. I've got this badboy trapped.

Meanwhile, after 40 minutes, my DVD-sized install media appears to be
about halfway through the install process.

So this wasn't about Devuan, and it wasn't about the size of the
install ISO. I had a wrong qemu command.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21