:: Re: [DNG] Debian is dropping suppor…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Adam Borowski
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Debian is dropping support for i586. Are we?
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 09:27:43AM -0500, Linux O'Beardly wrote:
> >> Reverting this in a derivative is possible, although it lands you pretty
> >> much exactly in Raspbian's position.
> >>
> >> The result will be one-way compatibility: your packages will run on any
> >> Debian-compatible system but importing from Debian or any other external
> >> repository will require a rebuild.
>
> Aren't Rasberry Pis configured with ARM procs? If so, would dropping i586
> support have any effect whatsoever on it?

The CPU in Raspberry Pi 1 does support some, but not all, new features the
armhf arch requires. The Raspbian team wanted to get all speedups they can,
and, as for example floating point tasks greatly benefit from armhf's
calling convention -- instead of using fully compatible armel, Raspbian guys
decided to use modified armhf. This led to massive confusion, breaking any
external repositories compiled for baseline armhf.

Likewise, you can rebuild current unstable with -march=i586, but it'll
break whenever an user takes a binary package from regular Debian or any
other repository not recompiled with -march=i586.

--
How to exploit the Bible for weight loss:
Pr28:25: he that putteth his trust in the ʟᴏʀᴅ shall be made fat.