:: Re: [DNG] Debian is dropping suppor…
Página Principal
Autor: Noel Torres
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Debian is dropping support for i586. Are we?

Vince Mulhollon <vince@???> escribió:

> It'll hit the embedded world pretty hard.
>
> Today you can buy a brand new soekris box that only runs i586. Brand
> new off the shelf, today. My 6 or 7 year old one is running right now

Very valid points. However, we need to pick our battles. At this
moment, we have very scarce manpower, and a prime objective: get rid
of systemd for Jessie (it being usable) and Ascii (completely). Adam
Borowski expressed it way better than I could:

==8<==================
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???> escribió:
> Reverting this in a derivative is possible, although it lands you pretty
> much exactly in Raspbian's position.
>
> You'd need to:
> * reconfigure and rebuild kernel for -585 flavour
> * undo the not-yet-done merging of libc6-i686
> * (no source changes) rebuild every package!
> * watch out for regressions

==8<==================

After that (or even for Ascii), we can broaden our view of "user
freedom to choose" to other chosings, and i585 would be a good first
step, but at this moment I (humbly) think it is not worth (even being
very important).

> The root cause of the problem is the Debian/Ubuntu ecosystem is moving
> away from the "universal OS" mantra and toward being a GNOME
> bootloader for tablets and everything else can just go away. Thats
> the war... abandonment of entire industry sectors or weird init
> decisions are merely a small battle, the war is the move toward
> turning the OS into a GNOME bootloader for tablets.

Agreed

Regards

Noel
er Envite