:: Re: [DNG] Supervision scripts
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Simon Walter
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Supervision scripts

On 05/05/2016 11:11 PM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Simon Walter <simon@???> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> On 05/05/2016 05:45 AM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>>> It greatly reduces the number of "low-quality" (or rather, "no quality")
>>> bug reports I receive as I don't (usually) get frantic phone calls at
>>> 3am UK time because a server in Texas terminated itself for some
>>> reason. Instead, I can collect the core file as soon as I get around to
>>> that and fix the bug.
>>>
>>> NB: I deal with appliances (as developer) and not with servers (as
>>> sysadmin).
>> So, for example, would something like daemontools be what you use with
>> your field deployed software?
> I certainly wouldn't use "something like daemontools" for anything but
> that's a completely different conversation (my present idea for 'server
> management' is to implement whatever I need in form of relatively simple
> 'do one thing and do it well' C programs which can be combined freely to
> create complex program invocation commands).
>
> OTOH, I am convinced that 'automatic restarts' is a sensible policy,
> especially for background infrastructure servers, as these are usually
> invisible to users unless they manifest themselves in form of "the
> internet doesn't work".

I understand your position. What I don't understand is what you are
suggesting. What are you suggesting should change in Devuan? Are you
suggesting that daemon monitoring be included and activated by default?

It sounds like to me that you as a developer of custom software have a
solution that works well for you. Does that have anything to do with
monitoring services and restarting them on Devuan? Are you just anxious
to show the other side of the coin that automatic restarts are useful in
some cases? Because, AFAICT, that is NOT what is being discussed.

I am not the author of apache. So I am not going to make assumptions
about when it can or cannot be automatically restarted safely.

I know cpanel and WHM have something to handle restarting crashed
services. I think that someone, who needs that hand holding, not use a
general purpose OS - which Devuan is striving to be. Am I mistaken?