Til: dng
Emne: [DNG] Debian is dropping support for i586. Are we?
Debian is dropping suppoort for i586. It seems to mean tht the i386
platform will no longer run on 586 processors, as gcc starts to generate
instructions that are incalid there.

Currently this seems to be the case in sid, but it will probably propagate
through testing. People with only slightly older machines than my laptop are
likely to be affected.

When they dropped direct support for i386 years ago, they
did try to find out if anyone was still using it, and found no one.
But there do seem to be people still using 586.

One has reported it as a bug. His production server has been disabled by dpkg
upgrading itself to a new version that won't run. Naturally without a working
dpkg it's hard to downgrade again.

I don't know if we need to watch out for anything relating this in Devuan.
Do we plan to support and continue to support i586?

-- hendrik