:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Rob Owens
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steve Litt" <slitt@???>

> On Tue, 3 May 2016 10:06:07 -0400 (EDT)
> Rob Owens <rowens@???> wrote:
>
>> I agree with putting each init in its own directory, but sysvinit
>> should not own /etc/init.d. sysvinit stuff should go in /etc/sysvinit
>> and by default /etc/init.d should be a link to /etc/sysvinit/init.d.
>> The reason is that other init systems may expect to own /etc/init.d.
>> For instance, openrc puts all its scripts in /etc/init.d (at least on
>> Funtoo it does).
>
> I don't remember any other init wanting to use /etc/init.d, EXCEPT
> OpenRC, or EXCEPT when they want to use the sysvinit init scripts, and
> the only one I know that wants to do that is systemd.
>
> I wouldn't change sysvinit's expected files one little bit. Everyone
> assumes that /etc/init.d belongs exclusively to sysvinit. Any change to
> sysvinit would require lots of testing, and who needs that headache?

Then you would be designing under the assumption that sysvinit is the
"one true way" and that all others must be modified to work around
sysvinit -- an init system that you/we are actively attempting to make
obsolete (eventually) by way of providing all these alternatives. This
doesn't make a lick of sense.

>> Even though sysvinit is our default init system these days, we should
>> not design Devuan such that it is difficult to change that in the
>> future. So put sysvinit stuff in its own directory just like all the
>> other inits.
>
> If you leave sysvinit's directories exactly as they exist now,
> switching back and forth between sysvinit and runit is trivial. Same is
> true of s6 and Epoch.

It is also trivial to do with a symlink.

> Because OpenRC has seen fit to intermix their init scripts
> with sysvinit's in /etc/init.d, I'd suggest that any files needed by
> OpenRC be kept somewhere besides /etc/init.d.

I have only used openrc on Funtoo, but there is no intermixing with
sysvinit there. It is exclusively openrc in /etc/init.d. Are you using
a distro where /etc/init.d contains both openrc scripts and sysvinit
scripts?

-Rob