:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Joel Roth
A: dng
Temas nuevos: [DNG] Supervision scripts (was Re: OpenRC and Devuan)
Asunto: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 01:03:08PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
> For whatever it's worth, I'm fully supportive of the idea of defaulting to
> a simpler init system such as S6, Epoch, Runit, you-name-it.

Many people agree that sysvinit with its symlinks and run
levels is overly complex for the common use case.

> The main issue with switching from sysvinit to something else is just
> finding someone willing to do the work.

As I wrote before, hundreds of scripts could be involved.
Daniel Reurich observed that bug reports could be filed
with each package, and then resolved as scripts are added.

The upstream software developer may not care about multiple
init systems, so the burden would be on the Devuan package
developer to support them. It would be great if some
automated tools could do this, but programmatically parsing
and transforming shell scripts is a task that will be
fraught with complexity. Perhaps some examples to follow for
each init system will be enough for packagers,
or init system advocate teams to write the necessary
scripts.

cheers,

--
Joel Roth