:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Tue, 03 May 2016 23:07:05 +0200
Svante Signell <svante.signell@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 2016-05-03 at 16:32 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 May 2016 10:06:07 -0400 (EDT)
> >
> > Because OpenRC has seen fit to intermix their init scripts
> > with sysvinit's in /etc/init.d, I'd suggest that any files needed by
> > OpenRC be kept somewhere besides /etc/init.d.
> >

> Hi Steve,
>
> We had a patch where openrc in debian was openrc.postrm and
> openrc.preinst was used to to divert update-rc.d + invoke-rc.d files
> to not conflict with the init- system-helpers scripts: update-rc.d
> and invoke-rc.d, see dpkg-divert. That is the solution used
> by file-rc. Currently systemd, sysvinit-core and openrc use the
> method of cooperating with the scripts update-rc.d and invoke-rc.d in
> the init-system-helpers package. Which is your preferred solution, we
> can go either way.

:-)

Hi Svante,

I don't understand a single word of your preceding paragraph, which
isn't surprising given my lack of knowledge of packaging systems. I
also know very little about OpenRC. So I have no opinion on the choice
you give in the preceding paragraph.

An opinion I *do* have is that for s6, runit and Epoch, the Devuan
package as much as possible mimic the idiomatic way that the program's
developer says to install it. I don't think that will be particularly
hard to do, and in another post I outlined how sysvinit, s6, runit and
Epoch can coexist simply by naming their PID1's sysvinit.pid1, s6.pid1,
runit.pid1 and epoch.pid1, and then switching inits is as simple as
copying one of those .pid1 files to /sbin/init.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21