:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Steve Litt
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Tue, 3 May 2016 10:06:07 -0400 (EDT)
Rob Owens <rowens@???> wrote:

> I agree with putting each init in its own directory, but sysvinit
> should not own /etc/init.d. sysvinit stuff should go in /etc/sysvinit
> and by default /etc/init.d should be a link to /etc/sysvinit/init.d.
> The reason is that other init systems may expect to own /etc/init.d.
> For instance, openrc puts all its scripts in /etc/init.d (at least on
> Funtoo it does).

I don't remember any other init wanting to use /etc/init.d, EXCEPT
OpenRC, or EXCEPT when they want to use the sysvinit init scripts, and
the only one I know that wants to do that is systemd.

I wouldn't change sysvinit's expected files one little bit. Everyone
assumes that /etc/init.d belongs exclusively to sysvinit. Any change to
sysvinit would require lots of testing, and who needs that headache?

> Even though sysvinit is our default init system these days, we should
> not design Devuan such that it is difficult to change that in the
> future. So put sysvinit stuff in its own directory just like all the
> other inits.

If you leave sysvinit's directories exactly as they exist now,
switching back and forth between sysvinit and runit is trivial. Same is
true of s6 and Epoch.

Because OpenRC has seen fit to intermix their init scripts
with sysvinit's in /etc/init.d, I'd suggest that any files needed by
OpenRC be kept somewhere besides /etc/init.d.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21