:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: KatolaZ
To: Jim Murphy
CC: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 06:32:41AM -0500, Jim Murphy wrote:

[cut]

> I know this is in the very early stages and where things go is
> still open to discussion, but consider this.
>
> UNIX and lookalikes have been able to boot into single user mode
> with a small root filesystem without the need for /usr, /var or ...
> There are still admins that have split any number of these directories
> into their own filesystems for various reasons. I guess you can call
> these use-cases. By placing the init systems in /var we again remove
> another choice for admins/users. If we are about choice, then /var
> may not be the best place to put inits.
>
> Something to consider and discuss, I hope.

I definitely agree with you Jim, and this is certainly one aspect to
be taken into account seriously. We should strive to allow the maximum
flexibility in choosing an init system, ensuring that the set of
constraints remains as small as possible.

PDSCE

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]