:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Página Principal
Autor: Simon Hobson
Para: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assunto: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Devuan
Mitt Green <mitt_green@???> wrote:

>> The current init system is old. Ancient.
>> We should all agree on it. Devuan is looking
>> for a new init system that is not systemd and my
>> personal choice for this task from now on is
>> Gentoo's OpenRC.
> ‎
> Unix is old. Ancient. We should all agree on it.
> Devuan is looking for a new base system that
> is not Unix and my personal choice for this
> task from now is Microsoft's Windows.

If there were a prize for the wittiest response, I think that should have it :-)

My 2d worth, I agree with earlier comments that the project probably doesn't have the resources yet for such a major undertaking. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it's a huge undertaking which means (probably) adding & maintaining a fork/derivative/add-on of every package that uses an init script - and I suspect that for many packages, asking the Debian maintainers if they would please add & maintain the extra init script will be met by "less than co-operative" responses.

Yes, certainly think about what's needed, and how best to do it, but for the moment I'd agree that a higher priority should be getting to a "production release" with (at least the appearance of) all the support tools that manglement expect to see behind something they allow on production servers.
IMO, at the moment Devuan isn't seen as a "serious" distro - Debian has a long history, plenty of resources behind it, etc, etc. RH and Suse have commercial backing. These things matter to manglement types. Get Devuan to a "complete" and stable (sans SystemD) distro, persuade people to come on-board, and once you've got those solid foundations, then is the time to be getting more adventurous.
Trying to do too much too soon risks diluting resources too far and never getting to that critical stage.

As I say, just my 2d worth. And written from the PoV of someone who never seems able to learn to not take on too much - and always having unfinished projects and unfulfilled promises :-(