:: Re: [DNG] Open Letter To Linas Veps…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Nate Bargmann
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Open Letter To Linas Vepstas
While his rant is about a year old, I wonder if things have improved for
him?

When he discusses GNOME Shell, etc., perhaps what he doesn't realize is
that many of those developers may not be eating their own dog food as it
were. For how long haven't we been reading about and watching various
videos from FOSS conferences only to realize they're often using the most
proprietary hardware and software in the world today, AND DAMNED PROUD
OF IT. It made me sick read yet another developer (sometimes even a
Debian Developer at that) wax on and on about the stuff from that
particular company.

They're writing code and simply throwing it over the wall to us the
masses these days. It seems to me the Free Desktop.org projects are no
longer led by passionate community developers seeking to build a stable
and usable Free desktop. Nope, they're simply writing code to mimic
their favorite Free Software hostile system but without the integration
and testing necessary for it to actually work as they're told it should.
Well, they're not using what they write on a daily basis so the reported
bugs are easily ignored.

It's frustrating.

Until the projects are of, by, and for the community, I don't see the
prognosis improving. It is my hope that Devuan will sustain enough of a
community so that some of the things we had up until a few years ago can
be recovered and retained. I, for one, am not giving in or giving up!

- Nate