:: Re: [DNG] cloud (was: Beta)
Top Pagina
Auteur: Herb Garcia
Aan: Jaromil
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] cloud (was: Beta)
_cloud-init_ ?

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid
On Apr 30, 2016 3:08 AM, Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016, Herb Garcia wrote:

>    +10000
>    On Apr 29, 2016 10:05 AM, hellekin <hellekin@???> wrote:
>      _cloud_ is the worst label ever.  Please tag it openstack, as there are
>      other cluster technologies.

but its not openstack specific... at least in theory. I have been
briefed about this by opennebula developers and it seems the
cloud-init package is the fruit of mediation among different
virtualization platforms. This in theory, since in practice it doesn't
works well and in fact opennebula needs its own context-init package.

now i'm not sure if I have the mapping right here, but it seems that

'cloud-init' package is good for openstack and "all the rest"

while opennebula best works with its own

we do make a difference because we provide ON packages, unlikely many
other distros: there is a good feeling between ON and Devuan because
they are a simple and no-nonsense platform (esp. if compared to
openstack)

so I guess we are the first to have this naming problem in a more
articulated why.

Can someone make an overview on what tags/words are in use already
around?

Can you come up with an alternative to 'cloud' which keeps generic,
since cloud-init is not openstack specific?

thanks