:: Re: [DNG] For all you automounter p…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] For all you automounter programmers
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 19:22:06 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 27/04/2016 19:17, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 09:10:25 +0200
> > Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
> >

> >>       Wishlist: the "automounter" shouldn't mount automatically, by
> >> default. It should rather offer an easy mount-handle, and the
> >> umount counterpart.
> > What is an "easy mount-handle"?

>      I mean there might be a list of connected removable media,
> showing which ones are mounted and a way to toggle mount/umount for
> each of them. I remind you that filesystems mus be unmounted before
> they are removed; this is what is called "remove safely" or "eject"
> by DEs' helpers.

Yes!

One program pops up upon insertion of a thumb drive, and asks mount or
not on that thumbdirve and shows the result.

But another program, started by the user, lists every thumb drive,
whether it's mounted or not, if it's mounted the user who has it
mounted, and gives mount options for the unmounted ones, and umount
options, IF THE USER IS THE ONE WHO MOUNTED IT, for the mounted ones.

No matter what you do, somebody's going to pull one out without
umounting. I've done it. Lots of people have. Oops!

Perhaps we can include a daemon that runs sync command every 10
seconds. I doubt that would have much effect, but would probably
minimize problems with just yanking out thumb drives.

--
SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21