:: Re: [DNG] For all you automounter p…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Steve Litt
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] For all you automounter programmers
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 18:19:32 -0400
fsmithred <fsmithred@???> wrote:

> On 04/26/2016 03:36 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 02:08:33PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

[snip]

> >> What you really want is for anyone in a certain group to be able to
> >> write to it. I used group "floppy", because a USB drive is a pretty
> >> good analog to a floppy, and floppies aren't even used much
> >> anymore. So do the mount like this:
> >>
> >> mount -o gid=floppy,fmask=113,dmask=002 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/thumb
> >>
> >> or
> >>
> >> mount -o gid=floppy,fmask=113,dmask=002 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/sdd1

> This did not work for me:
>
> $ mount -o gid=floppy,fmask=113,dmask=002 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/thumb
> mount: only root can use "--options" option

I misspoke myself. You still have to be root to perform the preceding
command. That's a matter for /etc/sudoers. Once you've performed the
preceding command *as root*, any user in group floppy can write to the
thumb drive. But you still have to be root to do the mount.

[snip]

> I like pmount for mounting usb devices. It's pretty smart. For
> removable devices, you don't need to list them in /etc/pmount.allow,
> and it handles encrypted filesystems (cryptsetup/luks).

As I remember, pmount works well and doesn't depend on any graphical
environment. As such, as long as it's likely to stick around, perhaps
I'll stop trying to write my own.

I had forgotten about pmount, or perhaps figured it would be absorbed
by the poettermonster.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21