:: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work witho…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Rob Owens
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work without systemd
----- Original Message -----
> From: "fsmithred" <fsmithred@???>
> On 04/25/2016 09:55 AM, Rob Owens wrote:

>> For all of you stating that such-and-such desktop works without systemd,
>> I have a couple questions:
>>
>> 1) Does usb auto-mounting work? (or at least usb click-to-mount)
>
> You need to have gvfs installed if you want an icon to pop up on the
> desktop when you plug in a usb drive. You can have xfce without gvfs. I'm
> not sure about the other desktops.
>

>> 2)  Do music players (like Rhythmbox, Guayadeque, Quodlibet) properly
>>     recognize a usb stick as removable media which they can copy/transcode
>>     files to?

> I think they just recognize whatever filesystems are mounted. Not sure
> what they use to recognize an audio CD.

I would have thought so too, but apparently they don't. At least not all of
them. See this bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=774871

My guess is that it was coded to identify events triggered by gvfs or some
such.

>> I ask because I had trouble with that sort of thing in the past, when using
>> Debian Jessie without systemd.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> gvfs (or gvfs-daemons) requires libsystemd0. If you were keeping that out,
> that would account for trouble with automounting usb.

Last time I tried, which was a while ago on Debian Jessie, installing gvfs
resulted in systemd-sysv getting installed. It was probably the first thing
that made me realize that Debian didn't really mean it when they said they
would support multiple inits.
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/482071

If gvfs on Devuan only requires libsystemd0, then that is an improvement.

Thanks, I guess I should do some testing.

-Rob