:: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work witho…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Arnt Gulbrandsen
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work without systemd
Steve Litt writes:
> I'm not sure the preceding sentence yields a mutual exclusivity, but
> yes, I really would like that history lesson, as this is something that
> has bothered me for a long time.

The WM is regulated by the ICCCP, which basically talks about how windows
interact with each other and with the screen. That's not very much of what
windows in a DE need to coordinate, though, and little of the other stuff
would fit naturally in the ICCCP. XDND could, but that's the only example I
can thing of else.

For example, a rule such as "either all apps or none support printing to
fax" is not a WM matter. (And not a printcap matter either, you have to ask
for the fax number.) Or "apps have their l10n language set by ONE setting,
not one per app", or "either all apps can read from onedrive/googledrive or
none", or "if any pair of apps have the same command, then they use the
same keyboard shortcut for that command".

The early KDE developers held a session at a place called Arnsberg where
the scope of this was hashed out for the KDE. The list on the whiteboard
was 10-15 items long (in general terms, not such details as fax).

Arnt