:: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work witho…
Página Principal
Autor: Igor Živković
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Which desktops work without systemd
On 04/24/2016 08:48 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 17:08:10 +0900
> Simon Walter <simon@???> wrote:

>>> I agree with you, there is not a borderline.
>>
>> It doesn't matter how much you agree on an opinion. That will not
>> make it fact. There is a technical difference between the two. Just
>> look up the definition of "window manager" and "desktop environment"
>> on any techsite/dictionary/encyclopedia. Unless you are trying to
>> sound ignorant, it would make sense to use the correct terminology.
>
> I've never been afraid of sounding ignorant, especially when I'm right.
> All the X environments I've ever seen have window managers to manipulate
> and add decorations to windows. Most X environments I've seen have
> programs added on to the basic window manager to work with it,
> configure it, and add features to it. So the question is: How much
> software is added to the software that manages and decorates windows?
> And that answer varies across a spectrum, according to the
> wm/de/whatever you're discussing.
>
> By the way, anyone wanting to take "sounding ignorant" to the next
> level should argue that LXDE is as much of a Desktop Environment as
> Gnome, or that LXDE as much of a Window Manager as dwm.
>
> One more thing: I think this whole wm/de thing is a useless
> distinction that never should have been made.

Not sure if you're trolling but I'll bite it.

LXDE uses Openbox as its default window manager. Xfce uses Xfvm as its
default window manager. As far as I know, you can swap window managers
in every desktop environment. There is no spectrum in the DE/WM
definition, it's pretty clear distinction on a technical level.

--
Igor Živković