Til: dng@lists.dyne.org
Emne: Re: [DNG] Printing -- now even pdf works. I have no idea why.
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> You can configure cups through the web interface or by editing the config files. Editing the config files is easy, apart from understanding the meaning of the variables from their names. But there are howtos. For one-time actions like resuming operation of a printer, I don't know how to do it but with the web interface.

FWIW I think the idea behind CUPS is a good one - though I haven't really fiddled with it. The idea of separating out the input transport, format conversions (via a standardised intermediate format), and output transports, seems to fit in well with the unix philosophy of modularity.
But as Mac user for <cough> years, I'm also well used to Postscript* and the device independency that brings. Being able to add a new printer, and be able to use all it's features via the print dialog, with nothing more than a single PPD file is really really useful !

* I also did a fair bit of work with it at my last job, again using the device independence to simplify converting text out from our systems (running on SCO OpenServer, back when SCO stood for good stuff) to a variety of printers - and a few other nifty tricks.