:: Re: [DNG] Gcc issue?
Top Pagina
Auteur: KatolaZ
Aan: KatolaZ
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Gcc issue?
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 07:27:06PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 02:15:52PM -0400, Steven W. Scott wrote:
> > Just curious, anyone else getting segfaults after compiling with gcc -O3
> > optimization flag on alpha 4? Same system, same code, same flags work ok on
> > Wheezy. If I back down to -O2 no problems.
> >
> > I'm blaming gcc, but I was interested if anyone else had a similar
> > experience or insight as to what might be the issue.
> >
> > I'm diggin XFCE btw, reminds me of gnome before it lost it's mind.
> >

> Which version of gcc? I am using 4.9 and 4.8 on Devuan, and I don't
> have a single problem. In my little experience, segfaults that
> disappear when changing compiling options (especially -O3 into -O2)
> often signal a well-concealed memory leak. But I might be totally
> wrong here...

I accept the risk of looking pretentious now, but I believe that the
problem might most probably be in your code.

The simple reason is that the very same gcc has compiled at least 90%
of the software you are using in alpha4, and who knows how many other
millions of packages. So if there were any such bug in gcc, it would
have probably been hit by now, just out of pure probability...

Before going into finding gcc bugs, my humble suggestion is to give a
go to valgrind.

My2Cents

Enzo

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]