著者: BohwaZ
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] What do we want for ascii ?
Le Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:31:51 +0200, Didier Kryn <kryn@???> a
écrit :

>      All of this seems very attractive. At the moment I just see one
> point which is still a nightmare and is not in your list: the sound
> system.

>      Could it be possible to work out a setup of the sound system
> simple enough for the random admin to understand  how it works and
> make educated choices? Eg some set up which would not use Pulse,
> except for those apps which exclusively want it, like Skype.

>      Do you seriously consider it possible to keep systemd in one of
> these eggs?

I have been using Alsa alone with great success for years, it just
works, with dmix and dplug to manage multiple sources and channels. I
used to have PulseAudio and every time it was a nightmare: the
configuration is weird and complicated, the GUI tools sometimes don't
work giving no helpful message, and the network forwarding of sound
crashed all the time.

For about 4 years PulseAudio was my nightmare at each upgrade it broke
again. Then I just removed it and used Alsa, never had any regret.

For Skype you can use apulse (like this: $ apulse skype) which wraps
calls to PulseAudio directly to Alsa without requiring any PA
component. It works well.

--
BohwaZ