:: Re: [DNG] apt-get vs. aptitude ?
Top Pagina
Auteur: hellekin
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] apt-get vs. aptitude ?
On 04/16/2016 08:13 PM, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 16/04/2016 19:47, Noel Torres a écrit :
>>
>> I regularly use aptitude's CUI (I use to name it as text-mode GUI).
>> Mostly because it has that wonderful "Mark as automatically installed"
>> mode, that allows packages to be more easily updated or removed.
>
>     This feature also exists in synaptic :-)

I like `l`imiting the package view and `/`searching for specific
packages. How's that in Synaptic? `e`xamine mode allows me to explore
dependencies in a quite efficient way. Exploring new packages,
traversing their dependencies, etc. is quite instructive.

But aptitude is far from a great GUI. I'm confused between apt,
apt-get, aptitude, dpkg, apt-cache, etc. That's a lot of complicated
programs with divergent interfaces that overlap a lot. I'd like a
simple interface to the system packages that doesn't require looking at
the manual or waiting 10 years to master.

Something like git. No wait, self-documenting, not too many commmands:
a high-level interface with a complete API for scripting under the hood.
Interactive mode needs to be helpful to humans.

Any recommended aptitude settings that you feel should be default?

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/