:: Re: [DNG] problem installing JRE
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dave Turner
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] problem installing JRE
On 18/04/16 02:30, Haines Brown wrote:
> I'm running devuan alpha4 on a Thinkpad x250, and so far everything has
> worked well. But now a problem.
>
> I need to convert PDFs to Word, and the obvious utility is (proprietary)
> easyConverter. Problem is that I can't install default-jre because the
> tzdata-java package on which it depends can't be found. This is a known
> bug. Is there a work-around or will that bug soon be resolved?
>
> I need to go from LaTeX to Word. I find that lwarp does an excellent job
> converting TeX to HTML, but HTML format does not convert well to
> Word. This is why I need to convert PDF directly to Word.
>
> Haines Brown

I run debian sid on my main laptop and devuan ceres on my other laptop.
In both distros default-jre does not depend on the tzdata-java package.

I think that means that the bug has been fixed by not having default-jre
depend on tzdata-java anymore!
Eventually that will percolate down into stable. Or stable will rise up
to meet it.

You have a couple of workarounds open to you.
1) do a dist-upgrade to devuan ceres and 'enjoy' life on the edge. It's fun!
2) use debian backports to get the latest default-jre and
default-jre-headless.
3) acquire tzdata-java.deb from some debian or ubuntu repository.

In devuan ceres and debian sid defaut-jre 2:1.8-57 ends up with the
following major depends:-
(and assorted minor ones)
default-jre-headless 2:1.8-57
openjdk-8-jre
java-common , version 0.57 in ceres and sid, you may well get away with
whatever version of java-common you already have.

Be careful. Mainly acquiring the debs and installing them will work
without problems.
Mainly. I needed the latest version of Apache Maven. I had a choice of
installing many many packages from backports - which is a bad thing to
do, or upgrading to sid. It was a lot easier to upgrade to sid.

My first attempt would be to download the tzdata-java.deb and install that.

DaveT