:: Re: [DNG] apt-get vs. aptitude ?
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] apt-get vs. aptitude ?
Le 15/04/2016 23:25, dev a écrit :

> On 04/15/2016 03:36 PM, Linux O'Beardly wrote:
>> For what it's worth, much of the apt vs aptitude is preference and
>> opinion. However, aptitude does bit better of a job resolving
>> dependencies and preventing them from breaking your system.
>
> Yes, That's what I've always read so I have always used aptitude but
> in this instance I have packages that will not upgrade via aptitude. I
> mention this case specifically as the Debian docs[1] say "aptitude is
> the recommended package manager for Debian".
>
> I post this question with the intent to investigate why I might need
> to familiarize myself more with APT as it's evident there are use
> cases where aptitude cannot get the job done. I have struggled with
> situations similar to this only rarely and could have possibly saved
> my self some time knowing the nuances of APT (Debian indeed has one of
> the most diverse set of package management tools around). With that in
> mind, consider the following on this Debian Wheezy based system
> (apologies in advance for the length of this post, but it seems
> pertinent to include)...
>

> #
> # apt-get upgrade <--<< kernel 2.6.32 will NOT install, updates will
> #
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
> proxmox-ve-2.6.32
> base-files libnvpair1 libpve-common-perl libuutil1 libwbclient0
> libzfs2 libzpool2 openssh-client openssh-server samba-common smbclient
> ssh tzdata
> 13 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> Need to get 8975 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 1438 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
>

> #
> # apt-get dist-upgrade <--<< kernel will install, updates will
> #
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
> pve-kernel-2.6.32-45-pve
> base-files libnvpair1 libpve-common-perl libuutil1 libwbclient0
> libzfs2 libzpool2 openssh-client openssh-server proxmox-ve-2.6.32
> samba-common smbclient ssh tzdata
> 14 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 46.2 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 1438 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
>

> #
> # aptitude upgrade <--<< kernel will install, updates will NOT
> #
> Resolving dependencies...
> pve-kernel-2.6.32-45-pve{a}
> base-files libnvpair1 libpve-common-perl libuutil1 libwbclient0
> libzfs2 libzpool2 openssh-client openssh-server proxmox-ve-2.6.32
> samba-common smbclient ssh tzdata
> The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
> [...]

     You guys all talk of aptitude as a CLI. But it is essentially a CUI
(Curses User Interface) supposed to give you diverse views of the status
of your packages and of what you are doing. I could never make any sense
of this CUI, although I know people who do. I've completely given up on
this and use only apt-get and synaptic. Synaptic is a GUI, very
straightforward to use. I think aptitude could be as easy  but it has
been developped by geeks for their own use without care for the general
admin and without a sensible documentation.

     Didier