:: Re: [DNG] Making sense of C pointer…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Hendrik Boom
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Making sense of C pointer syntax.
On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 03:18:17PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 03:12:32PM +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> > Hi, thanks for taking time to reply,

> > > C pointers are *always* one variable, precisely a variable large
> > > enough to store a memory address on the current architecture.
> >
> > I think, I did not understand what you want to say. As far as I can
> > imagine a pointer to pointer is something like this:
> > [pointer1]------>[pointer2]------->[data] int the case of data** dt.
> >
> > OR
> >
> > [pointer1]------>[pointer2] in the case of void** ptr.

Your example would be correct *only if* and pointer1, pointer2
actually contained proper addresses of memory instead of containing
uninitialized junk or NULL.

And that, I think, is what KatolaZ is tryng to point out.

> Nope. This is totally wrong. What you have in memory after a
> declaration:
>
> type *a;
>
> is just *one variable*, namely a variable able to contain a memory
> address.

Yes. It is only when you actually assgn a pointer to a that your
pointer----->data

diagram becomes valied.

-- hendrik